A brand new game
for Windows, Linux, Mac, HTML5, 3DS Homebrew and more
A mismash of ideas that really aren't working out...
7th November, 2009
Sometimes you can start a game and it grows and grows and is wonderful.
Other times, you get about 10% through, and realise it's just not working out.
Game Idea 1
This week started with a word game. A decent enough idea, place the tiles in a scrabble-esque crossword style, and make words.
Each tile would have two points, Point A, the letter, and Point B, the link.
The link is either to the left or below the letter.
Tiles could only link to each other, so rather than having a grid, you play with just the tiles, and try to match up words.
The lack of tiles became annoying, and without an ample supply, the game became very limited, especially since the links never really seemed to fit in where you really needed them.
Not sure how to proceed with this, but it's probably worth another look.
Game Idea 2
I made a very neat looking strip-based racing tilemap. The track would be made of 64x16 pixel strips of land, and with added rotation could generate lovely smooth little tracks.
I've had this happen before, and I'm not sure why I forgot!
Trying to get "Nice Smooth" tracks to meet up end-to-end is a complete and total git to achieve!
I tried adding a nice "Then smooth the track" algorithm, but it usually resulted in the entire damn track being smoothed back into a circle again!
No cars added, no grass, just a line that may or may not meet up.
I might end up having to resort to a plain simple tile based map. Boo
.. Nothing's working out, this week!