A brand new game
for Windows, Linux, Mac, HTML5, 3DS Homebrew and more
26th February, 2019
It's hard to keep from breaking things when they're already live on the server.
Going ahead, I really need to plan things out a little better, but sometimes it's hard to consider all the options, as well as the many issues that might arise in future.
As I rejigged the main array functionality, yesterday, and stupidly managed to break a whole ton of things, I was cursing myself for not having planned for these issues.
As I stared at a screen full of chaotically wiggling cards, I started to wonder whether I should even scrap and restart a whole lot of the code.
In the end, I managed to wiggle the code around the new dynamic array size, but there was certainly a "undo or forge ahead" point where I wasn't sure if I should just hold Ctrl-Z for a few minutes..
There are still a few issues that might crop up.
I currently don't have any way to save "per-game" strings. Any strings are specifically highscore-only, but there are hundreds of places where strings won't be used, so I should technically have a bit of space lying around to hold a few odd values, here and there.
One thing that the framework can't currently cope with, however, is multiple-saves. Be they different users, or even jumping between different games, the engine just can't cope with having more than one single array stored in the localStorage, mostly because localStorage has a certain limit as to how much you can store.
If I could find a nice compression method to work with all of this data, that might be handy, but .. For now, one player playing one game, will just have to suffice!